Cornrows are among the most popular hairstyles for black hair. They are a great way to express yourself and show off your unique style. The look is so versatile, there are countless ways to wear it. Whether worn as an everyday look or a statement style, cornrows can make you stand out in a crowd. The best part is that you can create a variety of looks with cornrows, from long and loose to tight and intricate. This article will discuss the basics of creating cornrows, as well as some of the most popular styles for black hair.
What Are Cornrows?
Cornrows are a type of braided hairstyle that is achieved by braiding the hair close to the scalp. The hair is sectioned off into small strands and then braided from the root to the ends. This type of hairstyle has been around for centuries and is popular among many African-American cultures. It is also known as “kanekalon” in some areas.
Different Types of Cornrows
There are several different types of cornrows that can be worn. Some of the most popular styles include:
- Traditional Cornrows: These are the most common type of cornrow style. They are usually braided in a straight line or in a zig-zag pattern. They can be delicate and intricate or simple and loose.
- Bantu Knots: These are small, tight knots that are created by wrapping small sections of hair around the scalp. Bantu knots can be used to add texture and interest to any hairstyle.
- Invisible Cornrows: These are cornrows that are braided close to the scalp and are barely visible from a distance. They are often used to create an edgy, textured look.
- Micro Cornrows: These are very small cornrows that are braided close to the scalp. They are often used to create a unique look with lots of texture.
- Goddess Braids: These are braids that are braided in an intricate pattern and can be worn with beads or other decorative elements.
Tools Needed To Create Cornrows
In order to create cornrows, you will need a few basic tools. These include:
- Hair Gel or Wax: This will help to keep the hair in place and make it easier to work with.
- Bobby Pins or Clips: These will help to keep the hair in place while you are braiding.
- Hair Comb: This will help to detangle the hair and make it easier to section off for braiding.
- Hair Bands: These will help to keep the braids in place and make them look neat.
- Mirror: This will help you to see what you are doing and make sure that the braids look even.
Creating cornrows is not as hard as it may seem. The basic steps are as follows:
- Start by sectioning off the hair into small sections. Make sure that each section is even and the same size. This will make it easier to work with.
- Apply a small amount of hair gel or wax to each section. This will help to keep the hair in place and make it easier to work with.
- Starting at the root of the hair, begin to braid the section. Make sure to keep the braid tight and even as you go.
- Secure the braid with a bobby pin or hair band at the end. This will help to keep the braid in place.
- Repeat these steps until all of the hair is braided. Make sure to keep the braids even and tight.
Once you have created the cornrows, there are several ways to style them. Some of the most popular styles include:
- Adding Accessories: Adding beads, charms, or other decorative elements to the ends of the braids can add a unique look to the style.
- Wrapping the Hair: Wrapping the ends of the hair around the scalp can create a unique look. This can also help to keep the braids in place.
- Adding Color: Adding color to the braids can create an interesting and unique look. This can be done by using temporary hair color or by adding strands of colored hair.
- Creating a Ponytail: Creating a ponytail with the braids can create a fun and stylish look.
Cornrows are a great way to express yourself and show off your unique style. They are also incredibly versatile, allowing you to create a variety of looks with just one hairstyle. With the right tools and a bit of practice, anyone can learn how to create beautiful cornrows. So go ahead and give it a try!