What is Brunswick Stew?
Brunswick stew is a traditional Southern dish made with cooked chicken, pork, lima beans, corn, and a variety of other vegetables. It’s a hearty and flavorful stew that is a favorite in numerous parts of the South. The origin of the stew is actually disputed, with some claiming that it originated in the early 1800s in Brunswick County, Virginia, while others say it originated in Georgia. No matter where it came from, it’s a comforting and delicious dish that has been enjoyed for generations.
Ingredients for Old Time Brunswick Stew
The ingredients for old time Brunswick stew are simple and straightforward. All you need is 2 pounds of cooked chicken or pork, 2 cups of cooked lima beans, 2 cups of cooked corn, 1 cup of diced potatoes, 1 cup of diced carrots, 1 cup of diced onions, 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Steps to Make Old Time Brunswick Stew
Before you begin, you’ll need to cook the chicken or pork and the lima beans and corn. Once that’s done, you’re ready to begin making the stew. Here are the steps:
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, and potatoes. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked chicken or pork, lima beans, and corn. Stir until combined.
- Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, the stew is ready to serve. Enjoy!
Old time Brunswick stew is delicious served with crusty bread or cornbread. It’s also great with a side of coleslaw or a green salad. If you want to get creative, you can top the stew with shredded cheese or crumbled bacon. This stew is also great the next day, so don’t be afraid to make a big batch and enjoy it for leftovers.
Tips for Making Old Time Brunswick Stew
When making old time Brunswick stew, it’s important to remember a few tips:
- Make sure to use cooked chicken or pork in the stew. Raw chicken or pork will not cook properly in the stew.
- If you want to make the stew spicier, try adding some cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
- If you want to make the stew thicker, try adding some flour or cornstarch.
- For a richer flavor, try adding a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- For a smoky flavor, try adding some smoked paprika.
- If you want to add more vegetables to the stew, try adding some diced celery or bell peppers.
Nutritional Information for Old Time Brunswick Stew
Old time Brunswick stew is a fairly nutritious dish. It’s packed with protein from the chicken or pork, and it’s also a good source of fiber and vitamins from the vegetables. Here is the nutritional information for one serving of old time Brunswick stew:
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
Old time Brunswick stew is a delicious and nutritious dish that has been enjoyed for generations. It’s easy to make and can be customized to suit your tastes. Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal or something to impress guests, old time Brunswick stew is sure to please. Give it a try and enjoy!